Wednesday, January 11, 2006

a little nightlife- asian style

Last weekend, I went to KTV for the second time since I've been here. This time, the whole group was foreigners like me. We represented most of English-speaking countries, I think. England, Canada, America, South Africa and Australia were all represented. KTV is like karaoke on steroids. A group of people will rent a room for as long as they want. The room has a sound system and song machine, usually very comfortable furniture and its own bathroom. The bathroom is a nice feature, because in order to have a proper KTV experience, a person needs to drink. Alot. Did I mention that it is important to drink a lot if you want to KTV?

I have to state, for the record, that I am opposed to karaoke to my core. I can think of many things I would rather do than karaoke. Some that come to mind are watching infomercials, reading junk mail, giving myself paper cuts and stubbing my toe. KTV is different, although I've only done it twice in more than four months, which is about the right amount for me. Don't get me wrong. The quality of the singing is no better than your average karaoke. But I guess I like the fact that I know the people upon whom I'm unleashing my limited vocal skills, and vice-versa.

This night was a typical KTV night. I drank way too much, ended up going to a friend's apartment with a couple of stragglers from KTV, listened to more music, drank more, and woke up on a sofa just before noon with a really bad hangover. I wasn't aware of any demons lurking inside me, but if there were any they are dead now.

What is funny to me is that Taiwanese people do the same thing when they KTV. I have seen people coming out of KTV buildings, assisted by their friends, throwing up on the sidewalk or in the street. So, it's not just the foreigners who drink too much. I wouldn't have it any other way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home